Monday, August 21, 2006

Nichiren Buddhist Sangha of San Francisco

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to announce that NONA has given official recognition to my work in San Francisco. I am now an official Nichiren Shu missionary working in San Francisco and it is NONA's hope that I will be able to form a new Nichiren Buddhist Sangha in San Francisco which can someday be the basis of a new thriving San Francisco Temple.

At this time I am running a Sunday Meditation Program at the Faithful Fools Meditation Hall at 230 Hyde Street from 3pm to 5 pm. We begin with silent sitting for 40 minutes (framed by Odaimoku Sansho), we then have an informal discussion and question and answer session at which we investigate how to apply Buddha Dharma to our lives, and for the last half hour we do chanting meditation which is known to some of you as gongyo (we use the Sacred Services of Nichiren Shu format put out by the San Jose Temple).

It is my hope that in the next two years the Nichiren Buddhist Sangha of San Francisco can grow into a solid core of at least 10 consistent and committed practitioners of Nichiren Buddhism. Put another way, I would like to find at least 10 people in San Francisco who I would feel confident in bestowing Jukai (the Diamond Precept of upholding Odaimoku) and the Gohonzon upon and who would be able to show up consistently as dues paying members of Nichiren Shu. I am looking for people who are really committed to learning, practicing, and sharing Nichiren Shu Buddhism who would be committed to supporting each other in their practice under my guidance as a Nichiren Shu minister in San Francisco. Without this kind of committment and support there can be no San Francisco Nichiren Shu Temple - which would be a shame since otherwise San Francisco is one of the strongest Buddhist cities in the mainland USA. There is no reason why Nichiren Shu should not have a strong presence in San Francisco.

If any of you are in the San Francisco area and would like to help me build a Sangha or if you know anyone in the San Francisco area who would like to be part of this, please contact me at ryuei2000@yahoo.com.

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo,
Ryuei

2 Comments:

Blogger asianboy said...

whats a nona?

11:06 AM  
Blogger Ryuei said...

Oops, sorry. I should have defined my terms:

NONA is:

Nichiren
Order of
North
America

It is the organization set up in the continental US set up to function as an umbrella organization for the Nichiren Shu Temples here. It allows them to coordinate their efforts and to interface more effectively with Nichiren Shu in Japan. It was set up back in the 30s I think by the Japanese-American immigrants and their ministers from Japan. It is not turning into a diverse multi-ethnic American organization.

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo,
Ryuei

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home